Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Chapter 8


Two men stood guard on either side of the doorway. Their faces were expressionless masks as they opened the heavy double doors for Malachi, allowing him entrance into the library.

The room was wreathed in shadow as he always found it on these visits. It was not kept dark from threat of sunlight. The room’s towering walls had not one window, only bookshelves rising up to disappear into darkness before reaching the vaulted ceiling high above. No fire burned in the massive stone hearth. It held only the dusty skeletal remains of kindling from long ago. His master liked the darkness and that suited Malachi just fine. The shadows gave Malachi a false sense of ease, as if they could protect him from his master’s disapproving glares and maybe hide his fear from the man he served.

The room offered almost no furnishings. There was a grandiose writing desk, probably a rare antique of some kind. It seemed grossly out of place is the tomb like setting. There was one chair in the room, positioned behind the desk, and it was currently occupied by his master. Anyone entering this room was offered no comfort, they stood before their master. This also suited Malachi, for he never stayed in his master’s presence any longer than was required.

Malachi forced himself to stand tall, trying to keep his choking fear in check. After all he had good news to impart. But every moment his master ignored his presence, Malachi’s resolve threatened to crack. Every fiber of his being screamed for him to turn around and go, but he knew he would never make it to the door. No, it was way too late for running.

An exaggerated sigh followed by the shuffle of papers told Malachi his master was ready to acknowledge his presence at last. But his master’s deep commanding voice still surprised him, making him jump slightly. “Well? What it is?”

Malachi dipped his head in a humble bow, “My Lord, thank you for seeing me it is always a pleasure to be …”

“Enough of your sniveling! You have news for me?” his voice boomed from the shadows.

“We think we have tracked him to a small little known village in England my lord.” Malachi spoke with an air of confidence and pride, both of which were quickly banished by his master’s displeasure.

“You think? You disturb me with assumptions?” the voice was now rolling thunder.
“My Lord there is a very old legend that circulates among the villagers, a great evil that haunts a forest …”

“You idiot, there is a similar legend in every back wood village in England and anywhere else in the world you care to look. Humans are pathetic creatures! They have always created demons to blame for their own ignorance. The Christian church has thrived employing the very premise!”  The master waved his hand in disgust.

In a moment of sudden bravery Malachi persisted “My Lord, I have traveled there myself, I believe there is truth in this legend.”

“Enough to risk your life?” his master issued a deep chuckle that had not a hint of mirth. “Fine, tell me why this time is different. Please enlighten me.”

  Malachi suddenly felt like a mouse caught in a playful cat’s paw. “A girl has gone missing…” Malachi struggled with his thoughts. If he was not convincing there was little chance he would leave this room.

“There better be more.”  His master began to rise from his chair.

“Yes my Lord, of course. I already had someone, Arimis, checking out the village, like we usually do when we hear strange stories. This girl, a young woman actually, an American appeared in town. We think she was a tourist. She was asking the villagers a lot of questions about the legend of the forest. He saw her several times, night after night, leave the village on foot and travel the road to the forest.” His master reseated himself and leaned forward in his chair, giving Malachi a boost of confidence to continue on more comfortably. “At first I discounted it too when Arimis sent me the report, I thought it was some young girl just curious, you know how humans tend to be drawn to dark places, and this place was as dreary as they come. There is a massive stone wall encircling a dense forest and judging by the smell a nasty bog as well. There is only one gate that even we did not find at first, it is almost covered over completely by vines. Even the parts of the gate you can look through you cannot see anything but trees and brambles. But she would stand at this gate all night. Then every morning after sunrise she would return to her room at the Inn. Then one night she never came back.”

“And? Was she seen entering the gate, going into the forest? What proof do you have that she disappeared as you say?” his master’s annoyance was quickly returning but Malachi could tell he was also intrigued.

“Unfortunately, no my Lord.” Malachi replied timidly, bracing himself for the lashing that was sure to come. “Arimis was watching the girl stand outside the gate again when he abandoned watching her to report back to me. I had just arrived in the village to see things for myself. We had no way of knowing she would not return that night …”

“Anything could have happened to her you fool. I would not be surprised if she simply left town, her holiday over. I do not find it hard to believe you imbeciles simple did not  notice!”
“My Lord we did verify that the woman never returned to the Inn for her belongings.” Malachi offered, trying his best to keep the conversation rolling in his favor. “And she didn’t pay the bill.”

His master rubbed his chin. “That proves nothing; she probably skipped out on the tab. But still … I suppose it is worth looking into further. Go back to this village; I want you to oversee this investigation personally. You may keep Arimis and take any other resources you feel you need.”

“Yes my Lord” Malachi stifled a relieved sigh. He would survive another day.

“Discretion is a priority, on the rare chance there is something to this I would rather not have him know he is being sought. The fool is in hiding, living in an ignorant bliss, I would like to keep it that way for now.  This is strictly an investigation at this point, whatever you find you report to me. No action is to be taken without my authorization. Do you understand?”

“Yes my Lord” Malachi was already backing himself towards the exit.

“And Malachi … if something goes wrong I am holding you responsible.” His master smiled, fangs gleaming even through the shadows. “I pulled your dying human corpse from the gutters; I shall have no problem returning you there.”

“Ye...yes my Lord.” Malachi burst through the double doors without looking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment