Monday, July 16, 2012

Chapter 16



James took the room key and headed straight for the stairs. He had a bottle of whiskey in his duffle bag and he was dying to pop it open. Just as he reached the staircase a man stepped in front of him to block his way.

“Good evening friend” the man extended his hand, “My name is Malachi.”

“I don’t give a good god damn who you are and I ani’t your friend.” James spat in a deep Southern drawl. He attempted to move around but Malachi stepped in his way again.

“Your itchin’ for an ass whipping boy” James dropped his duffle bag to the floor and started rolling up his sleeves.

“Well I see that polite conversation is lost on you so I will get right down to business.” Malachi replied stiffly, “You are looking for someone and I know where to find her.”

“I’m listening” James nodded.

“Yes I thought you might be interested” Malachi smiled. “So why don’t we go up to your room and have a drink of that fine whiskey hidden in your duffle and have ourselves a little chat shall we?” 

James thought it over a mere second before he nodded. Why the hell not he reasoned. If this guy was yanking his chain he would beat him to a pulp, relieve from bent up frustrations. And if he really did know something then it was well worth sharing his whiskey.

Malachi’s lips parted in a wide smile as he moved aside to let James lead the way.

******************


Audrey’s eyes fluttered slowly open. As her vision cleared she saw the library around her. She had been moved to the settee where she now lay. She pushed herself up to a sitting position and rubbed her head. A large lump had formed on the left side of her head where she hit the stone floor.

“Ah she wakes.” Nicholas stood by the fireplace, one arm resting on the mantle. “I shall have Max pack your things. I shall grant you safe passage back to the village. If you ever venture to return here or tell anyone of this place, I will kill you.” His tone was devoid of any emotion, he might have been giving her driving directions.

“My things …what …” Audrey fought to clear the clouds in her head. “I am leaving? Why? I thought …”

Nicholas turned his head to regard her in cold contempt. “Do you think me a fool? I welcomed you into my home, I provided for your every need.” His voice rose as did his fury. “You have fed me one lie after another since you arrived! Nothing you have told me is true save your name and it is only a half-truth!”

“Nicholas please …” Audrey pleaded, her cheeks burned hot under his vicious gaze.

Nicholas moved to snatch the newspaper off the table “This man hunts you and you have led him to my door!” Nicholas threw the paper at her.

“I …didn’t know …” Audrey began.

“Another lie!” Nicholas raged on. “You knew he would come for you! You knew!”

“I am sorry” Audrey said softly. She lowered her head, unable to look at him. “What was I suppose to say? I did not expect …”

“To live.” Nicholas finished for her, his tone softening. “But still he would have followed you here. You do not understand what is at stake.”

Heavy silence fell between them. Nicholas went back to the fireplace. He poured himself another glass of wine from a decanter on the mantle. He twirled the red liquid in his glass but did not drink.

“I … do not want to leave.” Audrey’s voice was little more than a whisper.

“Is it fear of this man that ties you here?” Nicholas turned his head to look at her.

“I do fear him” Audrey nodded. She gathered her courage and met his gaze. “But that is not why I want to stay.”

“Finally” A wide grin plays across Nicholas’s lips, “The Lady speaks the truth.” 

9 comments:

  1. Ooh - great scene. Glad she's being honest with him at last.

    -Sheila1968

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any more to this? I just stumbled across this and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes there is! I stopped posting because I thought no one was interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is fantastic!! Is there any way that I could read more...or all if you've finished it? I just love the visuals I get when reading. Wonderful!
    April

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was me that made the anonymous comment. I guess I should have mentioned that!
    April

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! And yes you sure can. It is a novel I wrote that I have been editing. I was posting chapters as I edited them. I will put some more up for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! Very enjoyable reading!
      April

      Delete
  7. Hi again! I was just wondering if you were still going to post more parts of your book here.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi - loving this. I agree with the posts above - we need to know what happens! Any more? This is really well written and compelling ;-)

    ReplyDelete