Sunday, July 1, 2012

Chapter 15



Audrey had been in the library all afternoon. She combed through the volumes, too overwhelmed to choose something at first. There were so many books, of all ages, and on every subject imaginable. She did not know if Heaven really existed or what it was like but she thought if it did, this was close.

She had finally selected several books and retired herself to an overstuffed chair. The hours passed without her noticing. Outside the sun had slipped from the horizon. Audrey put down the book she was reading and stretched. Her legs were stiff from being folded beneath her and her back ached. She got up from the chair and walked around the room working out the stiffness.

She wondered where Nicholas was. How did he fill his days, for she had never seen him before the evening?

Audrey’s steps brought her to Nicholas’s desk. His chair was pushed neatly under the desk. She pulled out the chair, admiring the upholstery. It was molded by his form, the plush fabric probably held his scent. She knew it was silly but she could not resist sinking down into the chair. Blushing, she leaned over to smell the fabric wrapped around the wooden arm.  

Smiling like a school girl Audrey leaned back in the chair. Her eyes floated about the room and again she wondered where Nicholas was. Would she see him tonight at all? Why was Audrey still here? Audrey knew she had nowhere else to go, but why was Nicholas allowing her to stay and for how long? And the questions still remained, who was Nicholas really. What was he?

Audrey’s began to pout, her gaze falling down at the desk. She saw something then she had not noticed. Neatly placed in the middle of the desk lay a leather bound book, its cover held no inscription of any kind.

“A Journal?” Audrey questioned the empty room. “I shouldn’t, it wouldn’t be right …” She was already opening the cover.

She found it more than a journal. From the first entry it seemed to be some sort of memoir, a chronicle of his life. Without the slightest of provocation Audrey began reading …



How does one catalogue a life that has spanned centuries? And more importantly, why would one do so if there is no one left to care? I am alone here.

Perchance it is some human coil that remains inside me. For has it not often been a human need to chronicles one’s life before they meet their end?

Or perhaps I possess some need to revisit the events in my life which have brought me to my inevitable fate. Even now, when all is nearly done, there remains so much I do not understand. I suppose lingering questions matter little now. I have made my choice and shall meet my destiny with bravery and honor.

I have lived longer than any deserve. I have watched time as it passes into history. I have witnessed senseless wars and the rise and fall of countless kingdoms. I have seen both great beauty and the grotesque. I have tried to live my life with honor and failed miserably. I have experienced loss, torment, pain, and death. And I have dealt pain and death to others. But I have also loved, and I have been loved. It is a love that brought warmth to my solitude and chased away the shadows of despair. And now it has brought me to my end.


                                                            Sir Nicholas Rochester
                                                            August 11, 2011



Audrey slammed the book shut with a loud snap. She was not ready to understand what those words had meant. “A life that has spanned centuries” … “I have dealt pain and death” …what did that mean? What could it mean?

“Ahem.” Nicholas cleared his throat. Audrey looked up to find him standing in the doorway, a news paper folder under one arm.

“Hello Sir Nicholas” Audrey smiled and quickly stood and moved away from his desk. Despite her efforts to appear otherwise she knew her guilt was written all over her face. “Thank you for the beautiful clothes, you really shouldn’t have.”

Nicholas took a seat in an armchair and opened his paper. It was a copy of the New York Times. “I could not very well leave you to wander my home in the same soiled garments and one shoe. It is quite unseemly.”

“Well thank you anyway” Audrey caught herself wringing her hands and quickly stopped. “And for the use of the library.”

“Max will be bringing dinner soon.” Nicholas said from behind the paper.

Audrey nodded uncomfortably as if Nicholas could see her through the pages of news print. Audrey took her previous seat and picked up a book and pretended to read.
Not a word passed between them. When Max finally entered to break the monotony Audrey felt like hugging the big man.

Max made up the small table at which Audrey and Nicholas had dined before. The table was covered with a linen cloth and placed with china plates but nothing like the previous grandeur she was shown. But the food was every much as divine. There were fresh fruits and crème, cheeses and artesian breads. At the table’s center lay an herb encrusted turkey, stuffed with glazed garden vegetables.

Max pulled out a chair for Audrey. She was seated alone at the table; Nicholas had not stirred from his reading. Max poured two goblets of wine then retreated from the room.

Audrey did not want to offend her host so she remained sitting with her hands in her lap, waiting for him to join her. She did not realize how hungry she was until the inviting aromas were laid before her. Her stomach rumbled.

 “Please, help yourself.” Nicholas folded the paper and stood up. He joined her at the table, laying the news paper beside his empty plate.

“Are you not hungry?” Audrey had already filled her plate.

Nicholas waved a hand, and took a sip of wine, “I was reading the most interesting article just now. It does amaze me how fickle Lady Justice can be. I often like to read the American news papers you see. I have a particular affection for the New York Times. I have been following one story in particular recently… and being from California was isn’t?” Nicholas paused to flash Audrey a charming smile. “Yes well you may not be privy to this case but it is quite the sensation. It seems a man has been on trial for murder and the kidnapping of several young girls. Apparently he has kept these women for years undetected. Can you imagine?”

Audrey lay her fork down with a shaking hand, “No, no I can’t”

“Well it seems the prosecution’s star witness, the oldest of the victims recovered I believe, disappeared before taking the stand. Though it seems it mattered little. This article indicates the police have somehow managed to mishandle the investigation which has led to this man’s release. ”

The blood had rushed from Audrey’s face.

“Are you quite all right my dear? Perhaps you have eaten too fast?” Nicholas smiled. “Perhaps you would like to read the article yourself.” Nicholas had folded the paper to ensure the man’s photo was fully exposed. He laid the paper beside her plate. “His name is Roberts, James Roberts.”

Audrey glanced at the photo briefly. Her eyes slipped back in their sockets as she slid from the chair and crumbled to the floor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment